The Perfect Pairing for our Partners Chardonnay
As the weather slowly begins to warm up and budburst begins in the vineyard, we think it’s the perfect time to crack open a bottle of Great Southern Chardonnay.
To pair with our The Partners Chardonnay, we’ve pulled out one of our favourite Nigella Lawson recipes to enjoy in Spring – Chicken with Lemon and Orzo. Simple yet full of flavour, this pairing will have you and your guests reaching for seconds in no time!
Chicken with Lemon and Orzo
Serves 4-6 people
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large free range chicken
Zest and juice of 2 lemons
3-4 cloves of garlic
2 leeks, washed and trimmed
Salt and pepper
½ tsp chilli flakes
2 tsp dried tarragon
1.5L cold water
300 grams orzo pasta
1 bunch flat leaf parsley
2. Prepare the vegetables – peel and cut the carrots into batons, cut the trimmed leeks in half lengthways and then slice them into 1.5cm slices.
3. Heat the oil in a large heavy based casserole dish/Dutch oven with a tightly fitting lid. Place the chicken in the hot oil skin side down to colour the skin for 2-3 minutes, then turn the chicken the right way up.
4. Turn down the heat or take the pan off the heat completely, and add the lemon zest and the minced garlic to the pan on either side of the chicken.
5. Scatter in the prepared vegetables around the chicken and season. Add in the chilli flakes and dried tarragon.
6. Pour in the cold water slowly – add water until the liquid comes up about two thirds of the leg of the chicken, leaving the golden breast clearly untouched by a small margin. Now add the lemon juice.
7. Turn up the heat and bring the pot to a boil, leaving it uncovered.
8. Once boiling, pop on the lid and put it into the preheated oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
9. Take the pot out of the oven and stir in the orzo around the edges of the chicken, then put the lid back on and place it back into the oven for another 15 minutes.
10. Take it out of the oven, remove the lid, and let it stand for 15 minutes, giving the orzo a bit of a stir to loosen any that has stuck to the bottom of the pan.
11. Stir in the chopped parsley.
12. To serve, strip the meat from the chicken in the pot and remove and discard the bones and the skin. Stir the meat through the orzo and veggies, pour yourself a glass of Partners Chardonnay, and enjoy!
TIP: You may want to try it with a small grating of parmesan over the top – it’s delicious with or without it!